If you have had a positive COVID-19 diagnosis and are now fully recovered, with no symptoms for at least 28 days or recovered with no symptoms for 14 days and a second test with negative results, YOU can help others in their recovery.
Sé a recuperado de COVID-19? ¡Sé un héroe y ayude a otros! Usted puede donar plasma convalente.
and one of our Donor Advocate representative will contact you.
Is Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center collecting convalescent plasma?
- Yes, we are currently working with local hospitals and contacting eligible donors to collect their convalescent plasma.
I recently recovered from COVID-19, can I donate convalescent plasma?
To be eligible to participate, the individual:
- Must have had a prior diagnosis of COVID-19 documented by a laboratory test, and
- be eligible to donate blood.
Also, the donor must either:
- Have fully recovered from COVID-19, with complete resolution of symptoms for at least 14 days, with a second, negative test, or
- Have fully recovered from COVID-19, with complete resolution of symptoms for at least 28 days before donation. No second test is required in this case.
Do you test for Coronavirus?
- No, we do not test for coronavirus.
What is convalescent plasma?
- Convalescent plasma is the liquid part of blood that is collected from patients who have recovered from an infection.
- Antibodies present in convalescent plasma are proteins that might help fight the infection.
Why is convalescent plasma being investigated to treat COVID-19?
- Convalescent plasma is being investigated for the treatment of COVID -19 because there is no approved treatment for this disease, and there is some information that suggests it might help some patients recover from COVID-19.
- Further investigation is still necessary to determine if convalescent plasma might shorten the duration of illness, reduce morbidity, or prevent death associated with COVID-19.
Is convalescent plasma safe and effective against COVID -19?
- It is not known if convalescent plasma will be an effective treatment against COVID-19.
- Plasma transfusions are generally safe and well-tolerated by most patients but can cause allergic reactions and other side effects. It is also not known if patients with COVID -19 might have other types of reactions to convalescent plasma.
- While it is not known if convalescent plasma is safe and effective against COVID -19, there is anecdotal evidence that convalescent plasma might be for some patients.
- Because there are no approved treatments, FDA is permitting the emergency investigational use of convalescent plasma to treat COVID -19 under the criteria of the emergency IND.
I think I had COVID-19, but I did not get a test. Can I still donate convalescent plasma?
- No, individuals must have had a diagnosis of COVID -19 documented by a test to be eligible to donate convalescent plasma.
Can you test for the antibody?
- No, not yet but as the technology develops, one may be available.
Who should I contact if I want to donate convalescent plasma?
- Potential donors would complete The Blood Center’s online questionnaire at /covid-19-questionnaire/ to get started or contact us at 713-791-6608 Monday through Friday, from 8 am to 4 pm.