Give Blood. Give Love. Give Hugs.
A young boy took a small bear offered by Captain Life Force, squeezed the soft toy tightly and named it Pooh Bear. It was the first stop in 2018 of the Reindeer Brigade, a group of blood center employees, volunteers and donors that visits various hospitals to distribute teddy bears and warm wishes during the holiday season.
Holiday Hugs has long been a tradition at The Blood Center. Throughout November and December, our donors have the chance to write notes to patients spending the holidays in the hospital. We attach those notes to 1,500 teddy bears and distribute them at area hospitals throughout the holidays.
Some of our donors choose to write sweet messages, some tell jokes and others draw pictures. You can be as creative as you like.
Here are a few of our favorite messages from 2018:
- “I hope your holidays are filled with joy and happiness. To a New Year!”
- “You are strong and special as a superhero!! Much love.”
- “Warm hugs from your bear”
- “Here is a huge bear hug for you this season!”
- “What did one volcano say to the other? I lava you!”
- “Wishing you a Beary Merry Christmas with warm, cuddly wishes.”
Three ways you can support the program:
1. Schedule your next donation. Blood donations slow over the holidays, and we need a constant supply of blood to provide for the community.
2. When you donate in November and December, you'll get the opportunity to write a special note that will be attached to the teddy bears.
3. Share the word about the importance of giving blood with your family and friends!
Thank you to everyone who helps The Blood Center send out Holiday Hugs every year. Your commitment not only saves lives but also brings smiles to patients in Houston and the surrounding area.
Do you follow us on social media? Find us @commitforlife and show the love by sharing your donation story using #CommitForLife and #holidayhugs.