Make a Financial Contribution

Every Potential Donor Counts.

Every day, families hear "... (your) only option for treatment is a bone marrow transplant from an unrelated donor." Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers...it could be your child; it could be you. Because tissue type is inherited, you might expect that a family member would be the best match for someone in need of a bone marrow transplant. The reality is that only 30% of patients will have a relative who matches and is able to donate. The other 70% rely on total strangers - someone like you. That is what makes it so important to continue to add donors to the registry.

The original goal of the National Marrow Donor Program was to register 100,000 donors. Twenty years later, the potential donors in the Gulf Coast area alone is over 100,000 and the National Registry has over 7 million registered potential donors world-wide making every potential donor count.

Seven million sounds like a lot, but it is not enough.

Every Life Counts.

Unfortunately for minorities, finding a match becomes more challenging. One mother said, "Because he's Hispanic, (his) quest is more challenging. All minorities have a more diverse genetic profile, so a higher number of potential donors are needed to increase the chances of finding a match." This is why the National Marrow Donor Program continues to add new tissue types to the registry through targeted recruitment of underrepresented racial and ethnic groups. The Gulf Coast Marrow Donor Program continues to lead the way by consistently ranking number one in minority recruitment because we believe that every life counts.

Every Gift Saves a Life.

"Every single day through our program, we facilitate 10 transplants," said Dr. Jeffrey Chell of the National Marrow Donor Program. "This year we will have 3,600 people who will find that gift of life, find that perfect match." Last year, the GCMDP facilitated 73 matches and has facilitated 402 as of December 2008. Where will our next match come from? Will it come from you personally or will it come from your generosity? Because of your generosity, were we able to add that one person who could save the life of another? Every gift saves a life.

Your Contribution Makes a Difference.

"An ambitious Federal program to register volunteers who can donate bone marrow needed by dying patients is falling far short of the need, forcing the vast majority of patients to raise huge sums of money to conduct their own, generally fruitless, searches." This was the lead story in the health section of the New York Times on December 19, 1989. Twenty years later, because of you, the Gulf Coast Marrow Donor Program can proudly say that we can add anyone to the registry at anytime at no cost. We are the only donor center in the US that offers potential donors the ability to register at no cost. Thank you.

None of this would have been possible without financial support from donors like you. Imagine going through a search. A grueling and emotionally painful search of finding that one donor that is going to save the life of someone you love knowing that living depended on the kindness and financial help of others. Your contribution makes a difference.

As one mother wrote, "The gift can never be repaid only appreciated and passed on through awareness. To the donor who has given my daughter her life back, we will always be indebted to you and grateful beyond words. God bless."

Click here to make a financial contribution online.

The Blood Center East Texas · The Blood Center Brazos Valley

© 2014 Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center · Houston, Texas