If you have had a positive COVID-19 diagnosis and are now fully recovered, with no symptoms for at least 14 days, YOU can help others in their recovery.
Sé a recuperado de COVID-19? ¡Sé un héroe y ayude a otros! Usted puede donar plasma convalente.
Please complete this form and a Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center representative will contact you.
Is Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center collecting convalescent plasma?
- Yes, we are currently working with local hospitals and contacting eligible donors to collect their convalescent plasma.
I recently recovered from COVID-19, can I donate convalescent plasma?
To be eligible to participate, the individual:
- Must have had a prior diagnosis of COVID-19 documented by a laboratory test.
- Be eligible to donate blood.
- Must have fully recovered from COVID-19, with complete resolution of symptoms for at least 14 days before the donation.
Do you test for coronavirus?
- No, we do not test for coronavirus.
What is convalescent plasma?
- Convalescent plasma is the liquid part of blood that is collected from patients who have recovered from an infection.
- Antibodies present in convalescent plasma are proteins that might help fight the infection.
Why is convalescent plasma being investigated to treat COVID-19?
- Convalescent plasma is being investigated for the treatment of COVID -19, and there is some information that suggests it might help some patients recover from COVID-19.
- Further investigation is still necessary to determine if convalescent plasma might shorten the duration of illness, reduce morbidity, or prevent death associated with COVID-19.
Is convalescent plasma safe and effective against COVID -19?
- It is not known if convalescent plasma will be an effective treatment against COVID-19.
- Plasma transfusions are generally safe and well-tolerated by most patients but can cause allergic reactions and other side effects. It is also not known if patients with COVID -19 might have other types of reactions to convalescent plasma.
- While it is not known if convalescent plasma is safe and effective against COVID -19, there is anecdotal evidence that convalescent plasma might be for some patients.
- The FDA is permitting the emergency investigational use of convalescent plasma to treat COVID -19 under the criteria of the emergency IND.
I think I had COVID-19, but I did not get a test. Can I still donate convalescent plasma?
- No, individuals must have had a diagnosis of COVID -19 documented by a test to be eligible to donate convalescent plasma.
Can you test for the antibody?
As of June 15, 2020, Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is testing now all blood donations for the COVID-19 antibody. This test will be performed in addition to the standard testing all blood donations receive. To see the test results or to check your Donor Rewards points redeemable for digital gift cards, access your Digital Donor account. The antibody test results will be available in approximately 7 days. The Blood Center will invite donors who test positive for the antibodies to return and give convalescent plasma to help patients recover in local hospitals.
This test is authorized by the FDA for detecting the presence of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 and is not intended for diagnosis of COVID-19.
Who should I contact if I want to donate convalescent plasma?
- Potential donors would complete The Blood Center’s online questionnaire at /covid-19-questionnaire/ to get started or contact us at 713-791-6608 Monday through Friday, from 8 am to 4 pm.