Blood Donor Ban Lifted for Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
(Houston, Texas) – Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is excited to welcome more donors to help save lives! The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) removed a two-decade-long rule that previously deferred donors from donating blood for time spent in Europe due to concerns about transmitting a variant of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) through blood transfusions.
Under the old rule, donors who traveled or lived in the United Kingdom for three months or more between 1980 and 1996 could not donate due to vCJD. In addition, donors who traveled or lived in Ireland and France for five years or more between 1980 and 2001 could not donate.
The FDA has now determined this is no longer a concern. An investigation showed no documented cases of vCJD being transmitted through a blood transfusion. Most individuals who were once deferred should now be eligible to donate blood as long they meet all other donor requirements. Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center welcomes anyone who lived or traveled in the United Kingdom from 1980 through 1996 to give blood. Donors who lived or traveled in France and Ireland from 1980 through 2001 can also donate blood.
Most individuals who were once deferred should now be eligible to donate blood as long as they meet all other donor requirements.
“We are happy that scientific evidence has now shown that the deferral bans can be lifted and that the blood supply will remain safe,” said Chief Medical Officer Dr. Beth Hartwell at Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center. “It has taken us a bit of time to make the necessary changes, but we are ready to go now and wish to welcome this new group of potential donors to our Neighborhood Donor Centers and our blood drives,” said Hartwell.
Donors are invited to contact Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center to update their records if they have a deferral or to schedule a donation. All military service members, their families, and veterans stationed in the United Kingdom and France are welcome to give blood and help save lives.
The need for blood donations is constant. Blood donations help to treat patients who have cancer and other illnesses that require emergency surgeries. Blood is also used to help those with compromised immune systems or who have suffered from traumatic injuries.
To find a location for donation or more information regarding donor eligibility, please visit giveblood.org.
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is the sole provider of blood and blood components 24/7 to more than 170 hospitals and health care facilities in a 26-county Texas Gulf Coast region. Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is a nonprofit organization accredited by the Food and Drug Administration. For more information or to help save lives, visit giveblood.org.
- Contact Us
- Committed Hearts Blog
- Share Your Story
- Digital Donor
- A New Era of Leadership
- The Krewe is Back: Mardi Gras Returns in 2024
- Houston Unites to Saves Lives During National Blood Donor Month
- The Woodlands Donor Center
- Uniting Our Community for a Season of Giving
- Medical Pioneer Dr. Rossmann Retires
- Inclusiveness and Equality, A New Age in Blood Banking
- Holiday of Giving
- We Bleed Orange: Uniting Donors and Baseball Fans During the Playoffs
- Texas Blood Centers Engage in Friendly Rivalry to Save Lives
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Childhood Cancer Awareness
- Unlocking Knowledge - Detecting the Trait
- Let’s Get Straight to the Pint This August
- Black Bear Diner
- Working Together for Our Community
- Taking Blood Donation to a Whole New Reality
- Giving Back to Those Who Have Served This Memorial Day
- Volunteering - Making an Impact on Your Community
- Blood Donor Ban Lifted for Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
- vCJD donors update
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Welcomes Donors to New Facility
- Keeping Our Blood Supply Strong During Spring Break
- A Celebration of Life Event 2023
- Contributions, Sacrifices and Achievements
- Proposed FDA Guidance on Blood Donations
- Beads and Saving Lives: It’s a Mardi Gras Thing
- One Hour Changes Everything
- BEARing Gifts – A Season of Giving
- Think Pink and Donate Blood
- Let’s Trade Pints
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and Donate Blood
- Huzzah, The Kingdom Calls For Its Heroes
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Celebrates 100-Gallon Donor
- The Treatment Could Be in Your Blood
- Dunkin' of Houston and Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Team Up to Encourage Blood Donations This August
- Local Blood Center Keeps it Local After 30 Years
- Preparing Our Nation When Disaster Strikes
- Cellular Life Solutions Receives FACT Accreditation
- A day of celebration, awarness, and recognition
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Sends Aid to Ukraine
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Breaks Ground with New Facility
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Call for At-Home Workers to Give Blood This January During National Blood Donor Month
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Launches non-invasive, Painless Way to Check Hemoglobin Levels
- Texas Blood Bank Aids Louisiana after Hurricane Ida
- World Blood Donor Day on June 14th and 15th
- Memorial Day
- Winter Storms Devastate Blood Supply in Gulf Coast Region
- National Blood Donor Month celebrates heroes
- Let’s Get Straight to the Pint This August (1)