Giving Back to Those Who Have Served This Memorial Day
This Memorial Day weekend, Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is supporting the Special Operations Patriots Fund to encourage blood donations and raise funds for our veterans and their families in need. From May 26-29, 2023, Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center will donate $5 to the Special Operations Patriots Fund for every successful blood donation.
The Special Operations Patriots Fund is an independent project from Blood Centers of America to raise money and awareness for active and retired U.S. Special Operations personnel who are wounded, ill, injured, or have fallen upon difficult times. This assistance is also extended to their families.
Memorial Day is a day to remember those who have lost their lives in service to our country. Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center has made this giveback program part of its annual tradition to honor those men and women. This year, with our community's support, Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center hopes to increase the number of blood donations and financial support for the Special Operations Patriots Fund.
"As we commemorate Memorial Day and honor the brave men and women who have sacrificed their lives for our country, Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is proud to support the Special Operations Patriots Fund to give back to those who have served," said Brian Gannon, CEO, and president at Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center.
Donating blood is easy and can be done once every 56 days. To donate blood, individuals must be at least 16 years old (with parental consent), weigh a minimum of 110 pounds, and be in good health. Donors must also bring a valid photo ID, eat a healthy meal, and drink plenty of fluids before donating. A typical whole blood donation takes about an hour and saves many lives.
Patients in our community rely daily on our blood donors to treat their various medical conditions, such as cancer patients needing platelets while undergoing chemotherapy, patients with blood diseases needing transfusions frequently, and patients undergoing surgeries. Blood is also critical to aid our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines that selflessly put their lives on the line for our freedoms.
"We encourage everyone to join us in this cause, as donating blood is an easy and impactful way to make a positive difference in someone's life. Together, let's show our gratitude and support for those who have served and continue to serve our nation," Gannon said.
To find a location for donation, please visit giveblood.org, and let's honor our veterans and help those in need this Memorial Day weekend.
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is the sole provider of blood and blood components 24/7 to more than 170 hospitals and health care facilities in a 26-county Texas Gulf Coast region. Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is a nonprofit organization and is accredited by the Food and Drug Administration. For more information or to help save lives, visit giveblood.org.
- Contact Us
- Committed Hearts Blog
- Share Your Story
- Digital Donor
- A New Era of Leadership
- The Krewe is Back: Mardi Gras Returns in 2024
- Houston Unites to Saves Lives During National Blood Donor Month
- The Woodlands Donor Center
- Uniting Our Community for a Season of Giving
- Medical Pioneer Dr. Rossmann Retires
- Inclusiveness and Equality, A New Age in Blood Banking
- Holiday of Giving
- We Bleed Orange: Uniting Donors and Baseball Fans During the Playoffs
- Texas Blood Centers Engage in Friendly Rivalry to Save Lives
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Childhood Cancer Awareness
- Unlocking Knowledge - Detecting the Trait
- Let’s Get Straight to the Pint This August
- Black Bear Diner
- Working Together for Our Community
- Taking Blood Donation to a Whole New Reality
- Giving Back to Those Who Have Served This Memorial Day
- Volunteering - Making an Impact on Your Community
- Blood Donor Ban Lifted for Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
- vCJD donors update
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Welcomes Donors to New Facility
- Keeping Our Blood Supply Strong During Spring Break
- A Celebration of Life Event 2023
- Contributions, Sacrifices and Achievements
- Proposed FDA Guidance on Blood Donations
- Beads and Saving Lives: It’s a Mardi Gras Thing
- One Hour Changes Everything
- BEARing Gifts – A Season of Giving
- Think Pink and Donate Blood
- Let’s Trade Pints
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and Donate Blood
- Huzzah, The Kingdom Calls For Its Heroes
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Celebrates 100-Gallon Donor
- The Treatment Could Be in Your Blood
- Dunkin' of Houston and Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Team Up to Encourage Blood Donations This August
- Local Blood Center Keeps it Local After 30 Years
- Preparing Our Nation When Disaster Strikes
- Cellular Life Solutions Receives FACT Accreditation
- A day of celebration, awarness, and recognition
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Sends Aid to Ukraine
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Breaks Ground with New Facility
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Call for At-Home Workers to Give Blood This January During National Blood Donor Month
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Launches non-invasive, Painless Way to Check Hemoglobin Levels
- Texas Blood Bank Aids Louisiana after Hurricane Ida
- World Blood Donor Day on June 14th and 15th
- Memorial Day
- Winter Storms Devastate Blood Supply in Gulf Coast Region
- National Blood Donor Month celebrates heroes
- Let’s Get Straight to the Pint This August (1)