Houston Unites to Saves Lives During National Blood Donor Month
January is National Blood Donor Month, and Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is celebrating our community's generous volunteer blood donors, emphasizing their critical role in sustaining our community's blood supply. These individuals play a crucial role in sustaining the health and well-being of our healthcare system, and their commitment is particularly vital during the winter months when the supply often faces a decline. Throughout this month, our primary goal is to heighten awareness about the ongoing need for blood donations and encourage our community to become regular blood donors.
The holiday and winter seasons historically witness a decrease in blood donations due to various factors, including travel and seasonal illnesses. This poses a challenge for maintaining an adequate blood supply for life-saving transfusions, medical procedures such as surgeries and organ transplants, emergencies, cancer treatments, and childbirth complications, and supporting research and development in medicine.
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center plays an essential role in supporting 170 hospitals in a 26-county area, including the largest medical center in the world, Texas Medical Center, with blood, blood products, and biotherapies.
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is asking our community to make donating blood a part of their routine to give back and save lives. You can support our community in several distinct ways:
Donating blood: Giving blood is the most direct and impactful way individuals can give back. Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center encourages community members to schedule appointments and make regular blood donations to ensure a stable and sufficient blood supply. Visit giveblood.org to find a convenient location to donate blood.
Hosting a blood drive: Businesses and organizations are encouraged to host blood drives throughout the year. Blood drives provide a community-driven opportunity to collectively contribute to the ongoing need for blood donations. Hosting a blood drive is free and can genuinely impact many lives. For more information on how to host a blood drive, visit giveblood.org/hostablooddrive.
Volunteering: Join our team of dedicated volunteers and play a crucial role in supporting our mission. Whether assisting at blood drives, providing administrative support, or helping with community outreach, your time and commitment make a significant difference. To learn more, please visit giveblood.org/volunteer.
We encourage our community to come together this National Blood Donor Month. Your ongoing support keeps our mission beating, and together, we can ensure there is always enough blood for those who need it most.
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is a nonprofit organization accredited by the Food and Drug Administration and the sole provider of blood and blood components 24/7 to more than 170 hospitals and health care facilities in a 26-county Texas Gulf Coast region.
- Contact Us
- Committed Hearts Blog
- Share Your Story
- Digital Donor
- A New Era of Leadership
- The Krewe is Back: Mardi Gras Returns in 2024
- Houston Unites to Saves Lives During National Blood Donor Month
- The Woodlands Donor Center
- Uniting Our Community for a Season of Giving
- Medical Pioneer Dr. Rossmann Retires
- Inclusiveness and Equality, A New Age in Blood Banking
- Holiday of Giving
- We Bleed Orange: Uniting Donors and Baseball Fans During the Playoffs
- Texas Blood Centers Engage in Friendly Rivalry to Save Lives
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Childhood Cancer Awareness
- Unlocking Knowledge - Detecting the Trait
- Let’s Get Straight to the Pint This August
- Black Bear Diner
- Working Together for Our Community
- Taking Blood Donation to a Whole New Reality
- Giving Back to Those Who Have Served This Memorial Day
- Volunteering - Making an Impact on Your Community
- Blood Donor Ban Lifted for Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
- vCJD donors update
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Welcomes Donors to New Facility
- Keeping Our Blood Supply Strong During Spring Break
- A Celebration of Life Event 2023
- Contributions, Sacrifices and Achievements
- Proposed FDA Guidance on Blood Donations
- Beads and Saving Lives: It’s a Mardi Gras Thing
- One Hour Changes Everything
- BEARing Gifts – A Season of Giving
- Think Pink and Donate Blood
- Let’s Trade Pints
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and Donate Blood
- Huzzah, The Kingdom Calls For Its Heroes
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Celebrates 100-Gallon Donor
- The Treatment Could Be in Your Blood
- Dunkin' of Houston and Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Team Up to Encourage Blood Donations This August
- Local Blood Center Keeps it Local After 30 Years
- Preparing Our Nation When Disaster Strikes
- Cellular Life Solutions Receives FACT Accreditation
- A day of celebration, awarness, and recognition
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Sends Aid to Ukraine
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Breaks Ground with New Facility
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Call for At-Home Workers to Give Blood This January During National Blood Donor Month
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Launches non-invasive, Painless Way to Check Hemoglobin Levels
- Texas Blood Bank Aids Louisiana after Hurricane Ida
- World Blood Donor Day on June 14th and 15th
- Memorial Day
- Winter Storms Devastate Blood Supply in Gulf Coast Region
- National Blood Donor Month celebrates heroes
- Let’s Get Straight to the Pint This August (1)