Preparing Our Nation When Disaster Strikes
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center has joined Blood Emergency Readiness Corps (BERC) as part of the nation’s first emergency blood reserve.
BERC comprises 33 blood centers from across the nation that has committed to collecting extra blood units on a rotating, “on-call” schedule. These reserved blood products will be held for large-scale emergencies requiring blood transfusions. These events are incidents that lead to immediate high blood usage with five or more victims requiring transfusions. Emergency usage may come from mass shootings, natural disasters, or multi-vehicle collisions.
In the last year, BERC has been activated four times, most recently during the Uvalde school shooting. Blood is an essential part of our response to any trauma situation.
“Unfortunately, there’s a growing number of disasters across our communities and nation. We are proud to join The Blood Emergency Readiness Corps to extend our life-saving mission in critical times,” said Theresa Pina, Vice President of Operations.
Before BERC, blood centers facing a mass need event have relied on other blood centers to send additional units from their available inventory – but only if the excess was available to share. Today, we’re facing more mass trauma events requiring blood, and less blood is available than ever before. Being a part of BERC, we can ensure blood will be ready and available if needed, without delays and uncertainty.
“When another community needs our help with blood products for disaster patient care, we want to ensure they have the blood they need quickly. Our generous volunteer blood donors allow us the opportunity to make a difference in communities beyond our own,” Pina said.
How does it work? When an emergency hits, blood is released to the local blood center in immediate need. All participating blood centers will know exactly how much emergency blood is available and who the supplier is, providing immediate access to needed blood products during a mass transfusion disaster. If no emergency situation arises, the blood products will be returned to the collecting center’s general inventory to be used for local blood needs.
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center’s first rotation is scheduled for July 18-24, 2022. Donors are encouraged to donate to ensure a stable blood supply. Churches, businesses, and community groups can contact the blood center to host a blood drive this summer in their community. Hosting a blood drive is free, and you can impact many lives. Those who are interested can go to giveblood.org/host-a-blood-drive to get started.
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is the sole provider of blood and blood components 24/7 to more than 170 hospitals and health care facilities in a 26-county Texas Gulf Coast region. Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is a nonprofit organization and is accredited by the Food and Drug Administration.
- Contact Us
- Committed Hearts Blog
- Share Your Story
- Digital Donor
- A New Era of Leadership
- The Krewe is Back: Mardi Gras Returns in 2024
- Houston Unites to Saves Lives During National Blood Donor Month
- The Woodlands Donor Center
- Uniting Our Community for a Season of Giving
- Medical Pioneer Dr. Rossmann Retires
- Inclusiveness and Equality, A New Age in Blood Banking
- Holiday of Giving
- We Bleed Orange: Uniting Donors and Baseball Fans During the Playoffs
- Texas Blood Centers Engage in Friendly Rivalry to Save Lives
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Childhood Cancer Awareness
- Unlocking Knowledge - Detecting the Trait
- Let’s Get Straight to the Pint This August
- Black Bear Diner
- Working Together for Our Community
- Taking Blood Donation to a Whole New Reality
- Giving Back to Those Who Have Served This Memorial Day
- Volunteering - Making an Impact on Your Community
- Blood Donor Ban Lifted for Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
- vCJD donors update
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Welcomes Donors to New Facility
- Keeping Our Blood Supply Strong During Spring Break
- A Celebration of Life Event 2023
- Contributions, Sacrifices and Achievements
- Proposed FDA Guidance on Blood Donations
- Beads and Saving Lives: It’s a Mardi Gras Thing
- One Hour Changes Everything
- BEARing Gifts – A Season of Giving
- Think Pink and Donate Blood
- Let’s Trade Pints
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and Donate Blood
- Huzzah, The Kingdom Calls For Its Heroes
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Celebrates 100-Gallon Donor
- The Treatment Could Be in Your Blood
- Dunkin' of Houston and Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Team Up to Encourage Blood Donations This August
- Local Blood Center Keeps it Local After 30 Years
- Preparing Our Nation When Disaster Strikes
- Cellular Life Solutions Receives FACT Accreditation
- A day of celebration, awarness, and recognition
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Sends Aid to Ukraine
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Breaks Ground with New Facility
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Call for At-Home Workers to Give Blood This January During National Blood Donor Month
- Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Launches non-invasive, Painless Way to Check Hemoglobin Levels
- Texas Blood Bank Aids Louisiana after Hurricane Ida
- World Blood Donor Day on June 14th and 15th
- Memorial Day
- Winter Storms Devastate Blood Supply in Gulf Coast Region
- National Blood Donor Month celebrates heroes
- Let’s Get Straight to the Pint This August (1)