Coogs save lives
Whose house? Coogs’ House!
University of Houston students are taking care of their community through a series of weekly blood drives with Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center throughout 2021.
We need 1,000 donations every day of the year to serve hospitals in our community. Each donation could mean the difference between life and death for someone, and that’s why we’re so grateful for the students at the University of Houston. Giving on an ongoing basis helps ensure blood components are always available for the patients we serve.
As a small gesture of our gratitude, each person who successfully donates will get a T-shirt.
Why it’s important
Blood cannot be manufactured. It must be voluntarily donated by one person to be given to another.
We break blood down into three components, and each one saves lives:
- Red blood cells are used to treat cancer, surgery and trauma patients.
- Plasma often is needed to replace fluids in burn and trauma patients.
- Platelets help cancer and bone marrow transplant patients recover.
Some helpful tips
- Be sure and eat a hearty meal before donating and drink plenty of water the day of your appointment.
- Save time at the donation site by filling out your health history through the CFL Express Pass.
- Be sure we have your correct email. With each donation, you earn Donor Rewards points that can be redeemed for electronic gift cards that will be sent to your email.
- Be sure we have your correct phone number. We’ll text you the moment your blood donation leaves our facility and is on its way to help someone in need.
- Download our Digital Donor app. You’ll be able to schedule an appointment, get your CFL Express Pass and redeem your Donor Rewards points.
University of Houston
University of Houston Student Centers
Downtown Room (Room 261)
4455 University Dr.
Houston, TX 77204
Please Note: Appointments preferred, and face masks are required. Click on any link below to make an appointment online.
Thursday, April 8, 2021, Schedule an appointment
Tuesday, April 13, 2021, Schedule an appointment
Wednesday, April 21, 2021, Schedule an appointment
Follow us on social media @commitforlife to get updates about our promotions, giveaways, and special blood drives. We love to interact with our donors, so please share your donation experience and love by using #CommitForLife.
As of June 15, 2020, Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is testing all blood donations for the COVID-19 antibody.
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is using the Roche Diagnostics Elecsys Anti-SARS-CoV-2 Test and the Ortho VITROS Immunodiagnostic Products Anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG. These tests are authorized by the FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization, which means it can be used only during the time of the Coronavirus pandemic crisis. This test is authorized by the FDA only for detecting the presence of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 and is not intended for diagnosis of COVID-19.
**This program will be discontinued on August 1, 2021**