The Commit for Life Creative Scholarship
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center's scholarship program will award each of 20 local area high school seniors a $1,000 scholarship to be applied toward their education.
The Commit for Life Creative Scholarship is about more than just getting you cash for school – it's about community involvement and the importance of helping others. Your ideas could help The Blood Center save even more lives.
What is required:
- The high school must host at least two blood drives with Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center during the school year when the scholarship recipients are chosen.
- The scholarships will be available to any graduating senior regardless of whether he or she donates blood.
- The student must plan to attend an institution of higher learning in the year following award of the scholarship.
How To Apply:
- Complete an application, available through the high school counselor or online using the link below.
- Applicants with a minimum GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) will be considered. Include with the application your official high school transcript sealed by school counselor.
- Use your imagination to submit a creative project/ presentation that will educate and inspire individuals to Commit for Life:
- Submit a typed essay or blog entry (max 500 words);
- Create a web page;
- Film a commercial or video (max 1 minute);
- Record a song (max 3 minutes and must submit lyrics); or
- Any other professional media you can think of!
- Please do not use name or the name of your school in your presentation, as it will help us ensure a fair judging process.
What It Takes:
- Each entry will be evaluated on content, creativity, accuracy and persuasiveness.
- One entry per student; entries may not be shared.
- Please follow formatting guidelines provided on the application.
- The scholarship will be awarded in the spring and the check will be made payable to the institution of the student's choice.
To download an application, click here.
To fill, sign and submit the scholarship application form electronically, follow these instructions:
1. Make sure you have Adobe Reader 8 or later installed on your PC. You can download the latest version for free here.
2. Fill in your form.
3. Click the red tab in the Applicant Signature field to sign.
a. Add Digital ID: Select “Create a self-signed digital ID for use with Acrobat.” Click Next.
b. Select “NewPKCS#12 digital ID file.” Click Next.
c. Enter your identity information to be used when generating the self-signed certificate. Your name and email will be sufficient. Click Next.
d. Create a password of at least six characters to be used with your digital signature – click Finish.
e. Sign the document by entering your password and clicking on Sign.
f. Save the form to your computer. Add your initials to the end of the file name. Remember where you saved it so you can attach it to an email and send back to email@example.com.
For inquiries and information call: (713) 791-6665
To submit your entry through email, please email application and attachments to .
Send completed application, postmarked by March 1, 2014, to:
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center
1400 La Concha Lane
Houston, Texas 77054-1802
Late submissions will not be considered.
To schedule a blood drive, please call: 1 (888) 482-5663, ext. 670